Rep. Malliotakis introduces bill to hold New York, Hochul accountable for lax bail law after Lee Zeldin attack
Black Dick Lover Kathy Hochul
2022-08-04 22:56:15 UTC
Kathy Hochul is one dumb cunt.
EXCLUSIVE — Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-N.Y., is arguing that
violent crime driven by repeat offenders released under the
state’s controversial bail reform law won’t turn around unless
New York voters elect Republican candidate Lee Zeldin over
incumbent Democrat Gov. Kathy Hochul in November.

Malliotakis, who introduced a new bill at the federal level
aimed at allowing crime victims or their families seriously
injured or killed by violent offenders out on cashless bail to
sue states like New York, praised Democratic New York City Mayor
Eric Adams for finally releasing data showing recidivism rates
in critique of a no consequences criminal justice system.

"I'm so happy we finally have a mayor that's releasing this
information because Bill de Blasio hid this is data from the
public," Malliotakis said in an interview with Fox News Digital
on Thursday. "People like me have been advocating for this law
to be changed because we know it's detrimental to the community.
We know that crime is skyrocketing and as a result, have had
difficulty in getting the data to prove that."

"I was very happy to see that the NYPD under Mayor Adams,
released the data that proves what we've been saying all along,
that this law is a danger to society and that they've been
putting the interests of career criminals ahead of the safety of
our law-abiding citizens," Malliotakis said, before turning the
blame on Hochul. "In fact, the governor is doing everything she
can to hide those facts from the public in defense of this
ridiculous law that is hurting her constituents."

According to data released by the New York Police Department on
Wednesday, the number of individuals arrested three or more
times in a calendar year for crimes including robbery, burglary,
and grand larceny, among others, has increased through the first
six months of 2022, compared with crime in the years prior to
the onset of the pandemic.

For example, 211 individuals logged at least three arrests for
burglary through June 2022, a 142.5% increase compared with the
87 individuals arrested at least three times for burglary in the
first six months of 2017. Nearly 25% of those arrested for
burglary go on to commit another felony within 60 days, a sharp
increase compared with 2017, when 8% of accused burglars were
arrested for another felony within 60 days.

Though Adams’ move marked a step in the right direction,
Malliotakis, who was a member of the state legislature when it
passed the controversial bail reform law in 2019 along party
lines under former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, criticized
Hochul’s misguided focus on guns instead of repealing cashless
bail.

"The governor is the one who is most liable here if she refuses
to act," Malliotakis said of Hochul. "She refused to bring,
despite all our calls, the legislature back for a special
session. And sure enough, if she gets reelected, she's going to
continue to defend this law instead of making the necessary
changes."

The congresswoman predicted that not much will change unless a
Republican heads to Albany.

"I don't have faith unless we get a new governor and Lee Zeldin
is elected that we will see any changes to this bail law, which
is why I've introduced this measure on the federal level to at
least require New York State to have the same provisions as
every other state," Malliotakis said. "It allows for judges to
consider an individual's dangerousness."

Malliotakis introduced the "Protecting All Communities Equally
(PACE) Act of 2022," which would give courts the authority to
consider dangerousness of defendants during sentencing. Under
the federal proposal, if a criminal is released without bail and
goes on to commit another crime, the responsibility would lie on
the state for any injuries or property damage that criminals
committed.

The suspect accused of storming onto stage and attempting to
stab Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y. in the neck with a sharp object at
a Rochester campaign stop last month was arrested but released
hours later on his own recognizance. Federal prosecutors later
stepped in and re-arrested the suspect because Zeldin is a
sitting U.S. congressman, but Malliotakis argued most assault
victims in New York don’t have that luxury.

"The idea that someone can attack a sitting congressperson and
be released immediately after that arrest is unconscionable.
Now, thankfully, because Lee is a congressperson, the federal
government came in and arrested the perpetrator," she said. "If
you're an average New Yorker, you're not going to have that same
protection and the federal government would not come in and make
that arrest. The state laws need to protect citizens. It is the
utmost responsibility of government to make sure to provide
public safety, period."

"People are assaulted every single day in New York City. And
those perpetrators are being released back on the street," she
added.

According to the congresswoman, another issue driving the
release of repeat offenders back onto the streets are "radical
left-leaning judges" who were either appointed by former New
York City Mayor Bill de Blasio or elected in liberal boroughs.

"We have an issue with the judges in New York. We have very
radical left-wing judges that are sitting on the bench,
particularly in New York City, that continue to release
criminals," Malliotakis said. "Four out of five of our
prosecutors in New York City are woke prosecutors who don’t want
to prosecute crime, Alvin Bragg being the worst. Even when the
prosecutor requests that bail is set, the judges don't always do
it."

Malliotakis made the argument that with crime a major issue at
the ballot box in November, New Yorkers wanting to see real
change in regard to public safety should vote Republican.

"I think really at the end of the day, this issue can only truly
be resolved at the ballot box," she said. "You need to elect a
governor and members of the state legislature who are committed
to repealing or, at minimum, fixing this to stop this law. And
we need to elect judges who are law and order judges. And we
need to elect prosecutors that are actually going to prosecute
crimes. So really, it is up to the people in New York state to
change this environment of skyrocketing crime and no
accountability for criminals."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-malliotakis-introduces-bill-
hold-new-york-hochul-accountable-lax-bail-law-lee-zeldin-attack
Black Dick Lover Kathy Hochul
2022-08-20 06:09:11 UTC
Kathy Hochul is one dumb cunt.
The streets of New York increasingly resemble a haunted house,
only for real, and with no laughs of relief when the ride ends.
Meanwhile, our leadership continues to wave their hands in the
air with elaborate flourishes, hoping we won’t notice that not
only are they not pulling rabbits out of hats — there is no hat.

New Yorkers were shocked, but not surprised, the other day when
Bui Van Phu — on lifetime parole for raping a teenager in 1994 —
sucker-punched a stranger on a Bronx sidewalk, apparently for no
reason. His victim suffered a fractured skull and is in a coma.

In the latest episode of the only-in-New York series, “Look
Who’s Walking?” Phu was released back on the street with no
bail. Though arrested for attempted murder, Bronx DA Darcel
Clark’s office downgraded his charges to misdemeanors, meaning
that, under New York State’s perp-pleasing bail regime, Phu
could not legally be held in jail to await trial.

Don’t forget — as the pro-savage legal defense bar keeps telling
us — he’s technically innocent! Yes, we know how the presumption
of non-guilt works in courtrooms. But we also know — based on
video evidence of the crime — that Phu is manifestly a dangerous
individual. New York State, however, remains the only
jurisdiction in the country that lacks a “dangerousness”
standard for bail. That is, the only consideration that counts
for assigning bail in New York is flight risk, no matter how
brutal, vicious, and unrestrained a violent perpetrator
obviously is.

Gov. Kathy Hochul tried to play the hero in the Phu case. “I
took action in my own hands,” she boasted, directing the state
corrections department to bust Phu for violating his parole.
“People of New York need to know that as their governor,”
explained Hochul, “I’ll stand up and protect them.”

We’re lucky, in other words, that Bui Van Phu raped a teenager
30 years ago, because that’s the only way the state was able to
get him off the streets after attacking a pedestrian and
breaking his skull. We are also lucky that the whole event was
clearly caught on video, because it’s unlikely that the case
would have generated so much buzz without the horrible visual
evidence.

And we’re also lucky that Hochul is facing an election in a few
months, and that her opponent, Lee Zeldin, was about to hold a
press conference pointing out that New Yorkers are sick to their
stomachs at the rising tide of chaos that threatens to overwhelm
their city. Otherwise, who’s to say she would have bothered to
respond at all?

Hochul added that she is “also asking our district attorneys” to
“closely examine” the criminal justice reform laws that have
caused this mess. It’s unclear why she would ask the DA’s to
examine the law, when she should be pushing the Democrat
supermajority in the state legislature to do something about
changing it.

But if Hochul were serious about wanting the state’s district
attorneys to do their jobs, she would take the bold step that
Florida’s Ron DeSantis recently took by removing a do-nothing
district attorney from office. Gov. Hochul has the authority to
give DAs Darcel Clark, Alvin Bragg and Eric Gonzalez the boot —
if she really cared about these revolving door travesties, she
would do something real about it.

<https://nypost.com/wp-
content/uploads/sites/2/2022/08/AUGUST19.P1_LCF-
1.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=928>

But doing something real about crime and impunity in New York
would agitate her political base, who think that restoring
sanity to our criminal justice system would empower racist
judges (in the Bronx?) and unfairly stigmatize New Yorkers (like
convicted rapists?) So instead of doing anything significant,
Hochul has embraced the tried-and-true strategy of relabeling
reality to make it sound nicer. Just last week she signed
legislation changing “inmate” to “incarcerated person” in
official documents, because “language matters,” according to
state senator Gustavo Rivera.

Language especially matters to feckless politicians like Hochul
and Rivera, because they evidently have no control over anything
happening in the real world of flesh and blood and concrete. If
we have learned anything in this era of progressive domination
of society, it’s that when reality doesn’t meet expectations —
whether pertaining to gender, inflation, or crime — just change
the definition of reality. That way you always win.

Seth Barron (@sethbarronnyc) is managing editor of The American
Mind and the author of “The Last Days of New York” (Humanix).

https://nypost.com/2022/08/19/dont-be-fooled-by-tough-gov-hochul-
on-crime/
Black Dick Lover Kathy Hochul
2022-08-20 07:24:16 UTC
Kathy Hochul is one dumb cunt.
New York City has had a series of random or unprovoked attacks
on children, including in some of the Big Apple’s most affluent
neighborhoods as police and parents prepare to send children
back to school early next month.

Kids have fallen victim to such attacks on New York City streets
as recently as last week, when three unsuspecting pre-teens were
punched and shoved while they were in celeb-frequented Greenwich
Village, according to multiple local reports.

And the number of victims under 18 has increased 34% year-to-
date compared to 2021, statistics show. According to data
provided by the New York Police Department (NYPD), 117 victims
under 18 were shot as of Aug. 14 this year, up from the 87 kids
and teenagers shot during the same time in 2021.

But experts warned against the notion of any trend toward
assaults on children. Murders and shootings citywide and
involving victims of all ages are down year-to-date as of August
14, while felony assaults are up by 19%.

As New York City parents are readying their children for school
to begin in early September, an NYPD spokesperson said the
department "routinely assesses security measures deployed in New
York City schools, and based on those assessments, we make
adjustments as necessary."

"Additional NYPD deployments are determined based on
intelligence gathered, schools that have had challenges and
schools that need an enhanced presence. Safe corridors are
deployed between certain schools, and the closest transit hub
provides a safe path to and from school on arrival and
dismissal," the spokesperson wrote in an emailed statement. "The
locations of the corridors change routinely based upon an
analysis of crime data and trending incidents."

GREENWICH VILLAGE

A 12-year-old girl was in the area of Washington and West 11th
streets shortly after 5 p.m. Aug. 9 when 34-year-old Rodney
Perry randomly punched her in the face, local affiliate FOX 5
New York reported. She reportedly suffered a minor injury but
was otherwise okay.

Perry then allegedly carried out two more unprovoked attacks
when he shoved 11-year-old and 12-year-old girls nearby, police
told the station. Neither victim was injured.

Perry was charged with assault, though it was not clear at the
time if he was released as part of the state’s bail reform laws,
FOX 5 reported.

Greenwich Village, which is also home to New York University and
The New School’s main campus, has boasted wealthy residents,
movie stars and other Hollywood A-listers, including Taylor
Swift, Alec Baldwin, Seth Meyers, Hilary Swank and disgraced
filmmaker Harvey Weinstein and then-wife Georgina Chapman, a
fashion designer.

Homes in the neighborhood are listed for a median price of $1.4
million and sell for a median price of $1.5 million, according
to realtor.com.

WILLIAMSBURG ASSAULT

Six-year-old girl assaulted, robbed in New York CityVideo
A 6-year-old girl was riding her Razor scooter through
Brooklyn’s pricey Williamsburg neighborhood, an area that boasts
homes with a median value of $1.4 million, realtor.com
estimates. According to authorities, a trio of violent thieves
targeted the girl on the evening of July 28. One of the three
suspects allegedly punched her in the chest while the others
stole the scooter.

The male suspects then fled. The victim received medical
treatment at the scene. Police later released surveillance
footage of the suspects, who are believed to have been between
the ages of 14 and 16.

PUNCHED STEPS FROM THE PLAZA

Meanwhile, a 9-year-old girl who was visiting from Miami in
March was randomly sucker-punched while walking near Central
Park and The Plaza, Manhattan’s historic hotel, according to
multiple reports and a good Samaritan.

Raheem Ramsarran, 27, was allegedly spotted "screaming" at
people before he carried out his unprovoked attack on the young
girl, said doorman Neil Johnson, who intervened to help.

Ramsarran reportedly punched the girl in the head near the
intersection of Central Park South and Grand Army Plaza just
before 11:30 a.m. March 21, at which point Johnson, who worked
at The Plaza, stepped in.

"I heard a guy screaming … then I heard a woman screaming, so I
ran toward Central Park South. There was a man that was walking
very fast toward a woman with a baby carriage and a little girl.
The little girl was crying, and the woman was screaming," he
told Fox News shortly after the attack.

"When you hear a woman screaming, and when you see the visual of
a woman with a baby carriage and a little girl running away
screaming from a guy, you gotta help."

The young victim was treated at the scene and did not require
further medical attention, FOX 5 New York reported. Ramsarran
was arrested just minutes after the alleged attack.

4-YEAR-OLD PUNCHED IN TIMES SQUARE

In February, 34-year-old Babacar Mbaye was arrested for randomly
attacking a 4-year-old boy – and punching the unsuspecting child
in the head – in bustling Times Square, according to multiple
reports.

Mbaye was charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a
child and resisting arrest for the alleged Feb. 17 attack.
According to the New York Post, he admitted to prosecutors that
he drank a bottle of sanitizer before the assault.

His defense attorney argued in court shortly after his arrest
that Mbaye was "under the influence of an intoxicated,
debilitating psychiatric episode," Newsweek reported.

The boy was not seriously hurt.

‘ASKING THE HARD QUESTIONS’

NYC armed robber holds father, young son at gunpoint in
apartment lobby, police sayVideo
Speaking to Fox News Digital Thursday, a retired NYPD detective
sergeant said the city is often grappling with offenders who are
mentally ill. And whether mental health is at play, the suspects
or the types of events often share similarities.

"People who do this stuff – mentally ill or not – they are
always seeking out the most vulnerable. And those are usually
the very young and the very old," said Joseph Giacalone, who now
works as an adjunct professor at New York City’s John Jay
College of Criminal Justice.

He noted that the issue of children as victims was "difficult to
define" and varied based of the circumstances of each instance.

"Each case has to be handled differently and the reasoning
behind it," Giacalone added. "You're dealing with the mentally
ill attacking the kids in the streets of Manhattan. And then you
look at the outer boroughs, or even up in Harlem areas and the
Bronx and Brooklyn. We've seen these drive-by shootings … Two
different things. We can't conflate the two, but they're all
very serious."

Now-retired NYPD Chief of Department Louis Anemone, a longtime
police executive who retired as the agency’s highest-ranking
member, told Fox News Digital random, violent crimes against
children — while tragic — are unfortunately not uncommon.

Anemone, who has been lauded as the mastermind behind the NYPD’s
CrimeStat program, said reports of such assaults on children
would likely encourage a larger police presence in the area,
especially if it’s a highly-trafficked region.

Warning, graphic content: NYC man caught on camera attacking
child inside restaurantVideo
"If these are generally in public places, shopping areas,
transportation areas, you want to see the cops there," Anemone
said by phone. "We can't cover every single street in the city,
but we certainly can cover the highly-trafficked ones."

Speaking about trends and crimes involving children coming to
and from school, Anemone said he learned during his 35 years
with the NYPD that people have to ask "the hard questions."

"How come this kid was punched? Where did it happen? What time
of the day? Where was he coming from and going to? What about
the perp? … What's behind this?" Anemone added. "I'm hoping that
they're asking those questions."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-sees-spate-attacks-kids-big-
apples-affluent-neighborhoods-police-experts-weigh-in
Black Dick Lover Kathy Hochul
2022-08-20 09:38:08 UTC
Kathy Hochul is one dumb cunt.
A man accused of pummeling a “hero’’ Bronx subway cleaner last
week has been arrested a staggering 41 times in the past —
including for a hate crime that already made him a revolving-
door-justice poster boy, The Post has learned.

Suspect Alexander Wright, 49, is currently behind bars on a
measly $5,000 bail, or half what Bronx prosecutors sought for
his alleged vicious attack on the train-station worker, who was
trying to stop the accused assailant from harassing straphangers.

Wright allegedly beat MTA employee Anthony Nelson, 35, around
8:40 a.m. Thursday, leaving the victim hospitalized with
injuries including a broken collarbone and dislocated nose.

The horrific assault was just the latest in a long list of
crimes attributed to Wright — from a random slugfest targeting
an Asian woman in Chinatown to throwing hot coffee on two
traffic agents in Midtown last year.

“If you look at his history, you’ll throw up,’’ Robert Kelley,
vice president of Transport Workers Union Local 100, told The
Post on Tuesday.

“The system has let society down [more than] 40 times,” Kelley
said. “At the end of the day, these are all similar cases of
assault.”

The victim’s angry mother, Lisa Nelson, called Wright “a menace
to society.

“This man Alexander Wright should not be walking the streets,”
said the mom, who appeared at a union rally held Tuesday outside
The Bronx courthouse on behalf of her son.

“I hope these politicians and these judges give him the max that
he deserves and do not let him walk free.”

In June 2021, Wright was busted for allegedly punching a 55-year-
old Asian woman in Lower Manhattan in a caught-on-video attack.
A month earlier, he was accused of tossing scalding coffee on
the two traffic agents in Manhattan, triggering an assault rap.

When taken into custody over the Asian woman’s attack, Wright
was deposited at Bellevue Hospital for a psych evaluation. But
it was not clear when or why he was freed after that incident or
the coffee attack.

Other charges lodged last year against the alleged repeat
offender included more cases involving second-degree assault,
harassment and felony criminal mischief, police said.

He also was previously accused of other assaults, disorderly
conduct, petit larceny and criminal possession of a controlled
substance for allegedly carrying synthetic marijuana, police and
cop sources said.

The suspect — who cops said lives at a homeless shelter on Wards
Island and goes by the nickname “Disney” — had previously been
reported to authorities three times as an “emotionally disturbed
person.’’

As his alleged career-criminal past came to light last year,
then-NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea seethed on NY1, “What are we
doing in society when we are releasing these people right back
onto the streets?

“It’s putting New Yorkers at risk,” Shea said.

Alexander Wright allegedly beat MTA employee Anthony Nelson, 35,
around 8:40 a.m. Thursday, leaving the victim hospitalized.
MTA/Tim Minton
Wright briefly appeared in Bronx Criminal Court on Tuesday in
the attack on Nelson, but the hearing was adjourned to Friday.

He faces raps of felony assault in the second degree, assault in
the third degree and harassment in the second degree in the
attack on Nelson.

The suspect remains behind bars on bail set in the case at
$5,000 cash, $5,000 bond or the much less stringent $5,000
partially secured bond, officials said.

Prosecutors had asked that bail be set at $10,000 cash, $30,000
bond or $30,000 bond partially secured at 10 percent, a DA rep
said.

Judge Michael Hartofilis set the lower bail.

Nelson’s mother cried Tuesday while urging authorities to throw
the book at Wright.

She noted that her son was once hailed by the Knicks as a
“pandemic hero” for his continued work during COVID.

“My son did not deserve this,” Lisa Nelson said of last week’s
assault. “He’s a brother, he’s an uncle, he’s a son, he’s a
father. … This is not right.

“Please, please, please let justice be served for Anthony Nelson
and all the people that this man has hurt.”

Nelson’s sister, Nashia Nelson, 33, told The Post that her
brother “is in a lot of pain today.

“I’ve never in 33 years seen my brother like that – broken nose,
his right side collarbone is broken.

“I mean it’s really devastating, it makes us extremely scared,”
she said.

“I’m a regular customer riding the train – I even get cursed out
multiple times,’’ the sibling said. “I don’t feel safe at all.’’

The TWU’s Kelley added, “We need to up this bail.

“We need to up these charges,’’ Kelley said of Wright. “We’re
tired of [emotionally disturbed people] getting amnesty. Our
members are not safe out here.

“Anthony Nelson is nothing less than a hero,” Kelley added.

“This is a heinous crime, and [Wright] needs to be prosecuted to
the fullest extent of the law. He is in jail right now, but we
have concerns if they do not up these charges.’’

The MTA described Nelson in a statement as a “model employee’’
while also urging “the Bronx District Attorney to prosecute this
unprovoked crime to the fullest extent.

“Someone with dozens of priors should not be free to harass
subway riders and brutally attack the employees who make this
city move,” the transit agency said.

The release included a quote from the hospitalized Nelson, who
said. “You can’t turn a blind eye to helping people.

“We need to be considerate to fellow New Yorkers. I would do it
again,’’ he said.

Online records indicated that Wright has a Legal Aid lawyer. She
was unable to be reached Tuesday.

The troubling subway attack came as the latest NYPD statistics
show major crimes citywide jumping 36 percent compared to last
year by this time. The dismal figure has been holding steady,
even as murders and shootings are down.

Comments:

Pam Pasake

Wokeism, very clearly, is destroying so many lives in the very
communities they profess to care for. It's devastating.

Saddest of all, Mayor Adams doesn't have the political courage
to admit that past administration practices worked and defy
party doctrine. He would be a hero, but he just can't (or
won't) speak the truth.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/16/nyc-subway-attacker-alexander-
wright-had-41-prior-arrests/
Black Dick Lover Kathy Hochul
2022-08-20 11:49:31 UTC
Kathy Hochul is one dumb cunt.
The sex fiend freed without bail after allegedly sucker-punching
a stranger into a coma was arrested Friday on a parole violation
— with Gov. Kathy Hochul claiming credit despite her refusal to
roll back the state’s controversial bail-reform law.

Van Phu Bui, 55, was taken into custody after outrage sparked
hours earlier by The Post’s front-page coverage of his release.

“Great! Now we just need an individual @nypost cover story, for
every single violent crime, to persuade @GovKathyHochul to do
her job,” Twitter user @patrickgrheaume wrote after Bui was
apprehended.

During an unrelated news conference on Long Island, Hochul
crowed that her administration contacted “the Bronx District
Attorney’s Office to talk about the actual charges that were
filed because … we want to make sure that our laws are being
properly executed.”

The NYPD had charged Bui with attempted murder, but Bronx
prosecutors downgraded the rap to misdemeanor assault and
harassment, no-bail violations, leading to his release Thursday.

“But I took action in my own hands,” Hochul boasted — taking a
victory lap amid widespread criticism that she hasn’t done
enough to correct mistakes in the 2019 bail-reform statute and
her recent refusal to grant Mayor Eric Adams’ request to convene
a related special session of the Legislature amid surging Big
Apple crime.

“I directed the Department of Corrections and Community
Supervision to immediately examine whether or not this parole
violation occurred,” Hochul said. “Yes, it did. You could tell
it occurred.

“This is a person on lifetime parole, and as of minutes ago,
that person is now in custody. That is at my direction,” she
said.

In a statement, the DOCCS said Bui was ordered “to report to his
parole officer this morning” and “was taken into custody on a
non-technical DOCCS warrant without incident.”

He’s being held on Rikers Island pending a hearing that under
state law must be held “before a Bronx judge within the next 24
hours,” the DOCCS said.

Victim Jesus Cortes’ younger brother, Juan Cortes, 49, was
visiting his ailing 52-year-old sibling in the hospital and
broke down in tears when The Post told him by phone that Bui was
back in custody.

Juan Cortes spent nearly 2 minutes sobbing before he was able to
compose himself.

“Thank God, first,” he said. “Thank God for the governor. Now
[Bui] is in jail he can’t hurt anyone else.

“He is not supposed to be in the community, not just for us but
all the families that live around here and the kids.

“They gonna feel comfortable now with this type of person in
jail. Now he is in the right place — jail. He has to be in the
inferno.”

Cortes’ niece, Daisy Gomez, added to The Post, “I believe [Bui]
should have never been let out in the first place.

“We want him behind bars and to do time – not like five years,
more than that.”

Hochul’s GOP gubernatorial challenger in the November election,
US Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-Long Island), called Hochul’s effort to
get Bui behind bars “less than the acceptable minimum.

“I actually don’t know of a single governor in the entire union,
across the country, who in this case wouldn’t at the bare
minimum see a clear-as-day parole violation,” he said during a
news conference at the scene of the attack. “What we need to see
is calling the legislature back into session for a special
session to deal with cashless bail.”

The suspect was previously convicted of first-degree sexual
abuse for an armed attack on a 17-year-old girl in The Bronx in
1994, according to the state sex-offender registry.

Bui, a Vietnamese refugee, was sentenced to six years to life in
prison and repeatedly denied parole before being released to
immigration authorities in January 2015, according to a DOCCS
spokesperson.

He was returned to prison three months later and was released on
parole in March 2019 after arranging approved housing as a worst-
of-the-worst Level 3 sex offender.

On Aug. 12, Bui was caught on video pulling on work gloves
before randomly sneaking up behind Jesus and allegedly decking
him with a vicious roundhouse punch to the head outside the
Fuego Tipico Restaurant on East 188th Street near the Grand
Concourse in The Bronx.

Jesus Cortes suffered a fractured skull and other injuries and
is in a medically induced coma after undergoing brain surgery at
Jacobi Medical Center in The Bronx.

Before the attack, Bui last reported to his parole officer for a
scheduled meeting Aug. 10. His parole officer then got a call
from the NYPD regarding the attack on Cortes on Wednesday,
sources said.

That same day, Bui called his parole officer and allegedly said,
“I’m in trouble.

“I hit someone and he’s in the hospital. I don’t know if he’s
dead,” the suspect allegedly said.

<https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/08/tweet-
1.jpg?quality=75&strip=all>

Post readers sounded off on Hochul’s decision on Twitter.
“The police are looking for me, I was at the restaurant, and I
know the police are looking for me,” Bui added, according to the
criminal complaint against him.

Parole officers searched for Bui at the Bronx homeless shelter
where he lived and also at a nail salon where he worked, next
door to the scene of the attack, but didn’t find him at either
location, sources said.

Bui was arrested at an undisclosed location by the NYPD at 10:15
a.m. Wednesday before being freed thanks to the down-graded
charges Thursday, according to court records.

In a statement issued Friday afternoon, the under-fire Bronx
DA’s Office said it was “obtaining additional evidence,
reviewing video, speaking to witnesses, analyzing medical
records and providing crime victim services” as part of an
ongoing investigation.

<https://nypost.com/wp-
content/uploads/sites/2
/2022/08/AUGUST19_P1_LCF.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=928>

Friday’s New York Post cover depicts Van Phu Bui being released
on bail.
“As the investigation continues, it will be determined if
elevated charges will be brought against the defendant,” the
DA’s Office added.

Bui’s Legal Aid lawyer, Casey Trimble, declined to comment.

Additional reporting by Khristina Narizhnaya and Tina Moore

<https://nypost.com/2022/08/19/hochul-orders-arrest-of-sex-fiend-
after-nyc-sucker-punch-attack/>