New York trans advocate, park ranger falls to her death while ice climbing Alaska mountain path 'the Escalator'
useapen
2024-04-28 08:12:17 UTC
A longtime New York forest ranger and trans advocate was killed Thursday
night after falling more than 1,000 feet while attempting to climb a steep
cliff in Alaska, officials said.

Robbi Mecus, 52, of Keene Valley and her climbing partner both fell while
ice climbing an especially treacherous part of Mount Johnson in Denali
National Park known as “the Escalator,” according to the National Park
Service.

Mecus, a transgender woman, died in the fall. Her climbing partner, a 30-
year-old woman from California, survived with “serious traumatic
injuries.”

Another climbing party witnessed the tragic drop and called for help
around 10:45 p.m., but it took until 7 a.m. the following morning for the
survivor to be airlifted to a hospital.

Mecus’s body wasn’t recovered until Saturday morning following
deteriorating weather conditions the evening prior.

The outdoors enthusiast had been a forest ranger for the Department of
Environmental Conservation’s Adirondack region for 25 years after joining
in 1999 at the age of 27, the agency said.

“I join the Department of Environmental Conservation family in mourning
the sudden and tragic passing of Forest Ranger Robbi Mecus,” interim DEC
Commissioner Sean Mahar said in a statement Saturday.

Mahar said Mecus “exemplified the Forest Rangers’ high standard of
professional excellence,” emphasizing her rescue efforts, her work on
complex searches and her deployments to out-of-state wildfire response
missions.

The interim commissioner also commended Mecus’s work in “advancing
diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ belonging throughout the agency.”

Mecus was also a leader in the queer community in the Adirondacks, NCPR
reported.

She told the outlet in 2021 that she struggled through her teenage years
to come to terms with her gender identity. She ultimately waited until she
was in her 40s to transition: “I was scared and afraid and I didn’t know
how I was going to live my life.”

https://nypost.com/2024/04/28/us-news/new-york-park-ranger-robbi-mecus-
died-while-ice-climbing-mount-johnson/
Danart
2024-04-28 19:37:51 UTC
Post by useapen
A longtime New York forest ranger and trans advocate was kille
Thursday
Post by useapen
night after falling more than 1,000 feet while attempting to clim
a steep
Post by useapen
cliff in Alaska, officials said
Robbi Mecus, 52, of Keene Valley and her climbing partner both fel
while
Post by useapen
ice climbing an especially treacherous part of Mount Johnson i
Denali
Post by useapen
National Park known as “the Escalator,” according to the Nationa
Park
Post by useapen
year-old woman from California, survived with “serious traumatic
injuries.
Another climbing party witnessed the tragic drop and called fo
help
Post by useapen
around 10:45 p.m., but it took until 7 a.m. the following mornin
for the
Post by useapen
survivor to be airlifted to a hospital
Mecus’s body wasn’t recovered until Saturday morning following
deteriorating weather conditions the evening prior
The outdoors enthusiast had been a forest ranger for the Departmen
of
Post by useapen
Environmental Conservation’s Adirondack region for 25 years afte
joining
Post by useapen
in 1999 at the age of 27, the agency said
“I join the Department of Environmental Conservation family i
mourning
Post by useapen
Commissioner Sean Mahar said in a statement Saturday
Mahar said Mecus “exemplified the Forest Rangers’ high standard of
professional excellence,” emphasizing her rescue efforts, her wor
on
Post by useapen
complex searches and her deployments to out-of-state wildfir
response
Post by useapen
reported
She told the outlet in 2021 that she struggled through her teenag
years
Post by useapen
to come to terms with her gender identity. She ultimately waite
until she
Post by useapen
was in her 40s to transition: “I was scared and afraid and I didn’
know
Post by useapen
died-while-ice-climbing-mount-johnson
Well honestly I hav
met many Park Rangers but honestly hey. You went climbing and fel
into a hole. Accident and has nothing to do with her stance o
Gender/Sex identity

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=664388352#66438835